New York Mets: Jessie Crain
June, 24, 2013
By Adam Rubin | ESPNNewYork.com
USA TODAY SportsThe Mets face lefties Chris Sale and John Danks in Chicago.
Tuesday: RHP Zack Wheeler (1-0, 0.00) vs. LHP Chris Sale (5-6, 2.69), 8:10 p.m. ET
Wednesday: RHP Shaun Marcum (0-9, 5.76) vs. LHP John Danks (1-4, 5.40), 8:10 p.m. ET
White Sox short hops
• Second baseman Gordon Beckham returned from the disabled list June 3 after missing nearly two months with a fractured hamate bone in the base of his left hand. He underwent April 16 surgery. Beckman has pronounced lefty-righty splits: He is hitting .394 (26-for-66) against right-handed pitching and .045 (1-for-22) against left-handed pitching this season.
Bob Levey/Getty ImagesGordon Beckham returned this month after surgery to address a broken bone in the base of his hand.
Dunn now has 426 career homers, tied with Billy Williams for 46th all time. Ahead of Dunn is teammate Paul Konerko, whose 429 homers are two shy of matching Cal Ripken Jr. for 42nd all time.
• David Wright, Derek Jeter and Konerko are the only current captains in MLB.
• Ex-Met Jeff Keppinger has only six walks and a .250 on-base percentage, but his average has started to climb. Keppinger is hitting .321 in 23 games (20 starts) since May 18, lifting his season average to .232. Keppinger has split time with lefty-hitting Conor Gillaspie at third base since Beckham’s return.
• John Danks surrendered a career-high four homers against the Minnesota Twins in his most recent outing. He allowed six runs and 12 hits in five innings. Danks made his season debut May 24 after recovering from left shoulder surgery performed last summer.
• The White Sox have lost 18 of their last 25 games. Still, they are 16-14 at home this season.
• Reliever Jesse Crain’s streak of 29 straight scoreless appearances ended Sunday at Kansas City when he allowed three runs in the bottom of the eighth and was tagged with a blown save. The right-hander’s scoreless streak spanned 29 innings.
• Lefty Chris Sale was the 13th overall pick in the 2010 draft, out of Florida Gulf Coast University. The Mets selected Matt Harvey seventh overall in that first round.
Sale had reached the sixth inning in nine straight starts before giving up four runs and eight hits in five innings at Minnesota last week. He was grazed in the arm and chin by a comebacker off the bat of Oswaldo Arcia in that start. Sale is 0-4 in four starts in June, despite logging 26 1/3 innings and producing a 3.08 ERA.
• Jake Peavy is on the DL with a fractured rib on his left side. He may return in roughly three weeks.
BACK TO TOP
7:00 PM ET Montreal NY Islanders 7:00 PM ET Tampa Bay New Jersey
12:00 PM ET 2 Syracuse St. John's 1:00 PM ET Cent Conn St Hofstra 2:00 PM ET Manhattan UNC-Wilmington 1:00 PM ET Stony Brook New Hampshire