- Adam Rubin, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
Josh Stinson surrendered a three-run homer in the seventh to deprive Chris Schwinden of his first major league win as the Mets lost to the Cincinnati Reds, 6-5, on Monday night at Citi Field. Only two games remain in the season. The loss clinched fourth place for the Mets in the division.
Tuesday's news reports:
• Sandy Alderson sits down with Newsday's Ken Davidoff for a Q&A.
Regarding Jose Reyes, Alderson tells Davidoff: "It's a critical decision, no question about that. It's the fundamental decision that we have to make this offseason. It will shape every other decision we make. There are many risks involved, from signing a player to a contract of that magnitude to the players we may be precluded from signing because of such a commitment. But everyone recognizes the connection Jose has with Mets fans. That's not something we take lightly. ... It does seem to be more interesting than most free agencies. On the other hand, almost by definition, someone who's a highly desirable free agent has made some connection with his fan base. But Jose has connected more than most, I'd say."
Alderson went on to assert that the medical treatment from team doctors is fine.
"From working with the doctors, I don't think that's an issue," the GM said. "From our standpoint, some of these injuries have been unique. Whatever medical care was given, I don't think we have a systemic issue here. You look at David Wright, we thought he was coming back (from a back injury) in 30 days and it took him over 60 days. He didn't heal like we hoped. Ike Davis suffered a freak injury to a part of the body (left ankle) that's very complex and difficult to predict in its severity. In all of these instances, there were more than our own doctors involved. We've done everything we could from a variety of sources. Through July 31, we had fewer total days on the disabled list than last year, and that's with Johan Santana there for the whole season. The short answer is I'm not dissatisfied."
Alderson also insisted that whatever the payroll, it is the result of lower revenues rather than anything Bernard Madoff related.
• After a 3-for-4 night with a sacrifice fly and two RBIs, Jose Reyes upped his average to .334. He leads Milwaukee's Ryan Braun by .00003 for the NL batting lead. Braun came off the bench to deliver a double for Milwaukee. Meanwhile, Matt Kemp's Triple Crown hopes appear to have faded. Kemp went 1-for-4, albeit with three RBIs, in a 4-2 win at Arizona and is hitting .324. Reyes, by the way, told the Daily News that he may see a doctor Tuesday for eye redness he's had for the past two weeks, but that it is not irritating or affecting his vision. Read more on Reyes' Monday night performance in Newsday and the Post.
• Brian Costa of The Wall Street Journal catches up with the Mets' former GM, Omar Minaya, about the similarities between the 2007 Mets collapse and the 2011 Red Sox swoon. Minaya tells Costa: "It's kind of one of those things that you see the light at the end of the tunnel, but your feet are not moving to get to the light. Your mind sees the light, but for some reason your body is not walking toward that light."
• Ozzie Guillen looks like he will be joining the division as manager of the Florida Marlins. The Chicago White Sox should get players as compensation for the change of address.
• The Mets nixed allowing the Yankees to place their Triple-A team in Newark, N.J., for one season while stadium renovations are performed in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, the actual home of the International League team, the Newark Star-Ledger reported. Star-Ledger columnist emeritus Jerry Izenberg chastises the Mets. Writes Izenberg:
One of the concerns that influenced the Mets was their belief that a minor league team in Newark might have weaned potential Mets fans away from the affluent New Jersey suburbs. Actually if such a presence was allowed, the idea of seeing future Yankees in New Jersey would probably have hurt the Yanks a little bit at their game -- surely not the Mets. Last night, a Mets spokesman confirmed that the team blocked the move, and would only say the decision was within the team’s rights. The prospect of that wonderful season is now stone cold dead. Perhaps the Mets have a point. At 23 games out of first place, they are farther back than all but three other National League teams. A minor league team in Newark could be a problem to the current “minor league” team at Citi Field.
• Wright was drilled with a ninth-inning pitch from Reds closer Francisco Cordero. Wright was unconcerned about the stress fracture he suffered in his lower back being antagonized, but described himself as sore.
• 2011 first-round pick Brandon Nimmo took batting practice with the Mets on Monday at Citi Field before returning to Fort Myers, Fla., to resume playing in the instructional league. Read more in the Star-Ledger, Record, Post, Newsday and Daily News.
• The Daily News reports if the Mets do re-sign Willie Harris or Scott Hairston for the bench, it will come late in the offseason. "This is my first choice," Harris told the newspaper. "I feel like I will have opportunities other places, but here, I already know what type of role I would have. I would know that coming in, so they have first choice."
• On Monday, former clubhouse manager Charlie Samuels' next courting hearing was scheduled for Oct. 18. The sides may be working on a plea bargain, ESPNNewYork.com correspondent Ian Begley reports.
BIRTHDAYS: Jason Phillips, who became a bullpen catcher for the Seattle Mariners after his playing career ended, turns 35.