- Adam Rubin, ESPNNewYork.com
- 0 Shares
METS (15-11, second place/NL East) at COLORADO ROCKIES (16-12*, second place/NL West)
* Rockies play at Arizona on Wednesday night
Rockies short hops
• Ex-Met LaTroy Hawkins is 9-for-9 in save conversions. The 41-year-old reliever signed a one-year, $2.5 million deal on Nov. 21. The contract includes a team option for 2015 at $2.25 million or a $250,000 buyout. Hawkins’ nine saves trail only Milwaukee’s Francisco Rodriguez (13) and San Diego’s Huston Street (10) in the National League. Dating to Hawkins’ Mets days, he actually has converted 19 straight saves. That is the second-longest streak of his career. He saved 23 straight from 2000 through ’01 while with the Minnesota Twins.
• The Rockies have the top three batting leaders in the National League: Charlie Blackmon (.379), Troy Tulowitzki (.376) and Justin Morneau (.357). Tulowitzki also has seven homers, one shy of league leaders Adrian Gonzalez and Giancarlo Stanton.
Morneau signed a two-year, $12.5 million deal with Colorado on Dec. 13 to succeed the retired Todd Helton at first base, after finishing last season with the Pittsburgh Pirates. He entered Wednesday’s series finale at Phoenix with a 13-game hitting streak, during which he is hitting .396 with five homers, 19 RBIs and a 1.223 OPS. Morneau was named NL Player of the Week for April 14-20. Colorado will retire Helton’s No. 17 on Aug. 17.
• The Mets-Rockies series will be a family reunion for Eric Young and Eric Young Jr. The elder E.Y. was hired by the Rockies to serve as first-base coach, a position he held with the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2011 and ’12.
• Tyler Chatwood left Tuesday’s start experiencing right-elbow tightness. Chatwood had surgery in October to remove a bone chip from that elbow. He also missed a month last season with tightness there. He opened this season on the DL with a left hamstring strain.
Jhoulys Chacin may step into that rotation spot Sunday against the Mets, although that has not yet been confirmed by the club. Chacin has been on the disabled list the season’s first month with a shoulder strain. He has appeared in four minor-league rehab games.
• Michael Cuddyer may be activated from the disabled list on Saturday when he is eligible. He is recovering from a strained left hamstring. Cuddyer was hitting .317 with three homers in 60 at-bats when he suffered the injury. Brandon Barnes and Blackmon have handled the right-field duty in Cuddyer’s absence. The lefty-hitting Blackmon is stationed in center field when the righty-hitting Barnes starts in right field.
• Third baseman Nolan Arenado has a 19-game hitting streak through Tuesday. That is the longest hitting streak in the majors this season, surpassing 17-gamers from the Marlins’ Christian Yelich and White Sox’s Alexei Ramirez earlier this season.
• No. 1 catcher Wilin Rosario has been sidelined since Saturday with a bruised left hand, which he injured swinging. There was no fracture detected. Jordan Pacheco has started three straight games through Tuesday.
• Carlos Gonzalez has not homered since April 11. He is hitting .156 (10-for-64) with three RBIs and three walks (one intentional) in his past 16 games (15 starts) through Tuesday. Gonzalez nonetheless is the only active player in the majors with a streak of four straight 20-homer, 20-steal seasons.
METS (15-11, second place/NL East) at COLORADO ROCKIES (16-12*, second place/NL West)Thursday: RHP Bartolo Colon (2-3, 4.50) vs. RHP Juan Nicasio (2-1, 5.