- Andrew Marchand, ESPNNewYork.com
- 0 Shares
Here are the five things you need to know from the postgame clubhouse:
1. New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi says he has no plans to move Alex Rodriguez out of the No. 3 or 4 holes.
"Right now, I don't plan on having any changes to our lineup," Girardi said. "You look at it, he squared two balls up tonight. You look at the ball he hit in the first inning, he squared it up. And then he had the other hard single. Right now, I don't have any plans to make any changes."
A-Rod is 1-for-9 with five strikeouts in the series.
"It is not something you can practice," Ichiro said. "It is instinct."
3. In the seventh, the Baltimore Orioles walked Robinson Cano even though they had lefty specialist Brian Matusz on the mound. It put the go-ahead run on. After a wild pitch, Nick Swisher was up with men on second and third. He flew out to end the inning.
"I've struggled against Matusz," Swisher said.
Swisher is 1-for-20 versus the lefty.
4. Why didn't Girardi run for Teixeira in the eighth? Teixeira was on first and would not have scored on a gapper. Brett Gardner would have. It didn't matter because the Yankees couldn't get a hit.
"I knew [Gardner] wasn't going to be able to run Matusz in that situation so if I'm going to use Gardy it's going to be in a situation I think we can run," Girardi said.
5. On Mark Reynolds' RBI single in the sixth, Cano said, he couldn't see it that well and didn't believe he could have dived and stopped it. Girardi agreed.
22hESPN Stats & Information