- Andrew Marchand, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
TAMPA, Fla. -- Let's get to some morning notes on Day 2 of spring training.
New York Yankees
1. MO ARRIVES: Mariano Rivera is in camp and scheduled to throw a bullpen. In recent years, Rivera usually showed up a few days late, but he is here on time as he comes back from his knee surgery. He is expected to speak to the media at some point today. We'll see if he is ready to make any big announcements.
2. MANNY B GETTING BETTER: I spoke with Manny Banuelos for about five minutes. His elbow is improving to the point that he will make 50 throws today. It is the second time he has thrown since he had Tommy John surgery. About to turn 22, he expects to be ready by next spring training. It likely means the earliest you will see him at the major league level would be late in 2014, but, more likely, 2015. The expectations are still high for the player Mo once called the best pitching prospect he has ever seen in Yankees camp.
3. CERVY SPEAKS: Francisco Cervelli had a nearly 10-minute press conference in which he denied using PEDs. His answers were a little bit confusing, which will likely raise more questions. Wallace Matthews is writing a news story on what Cervelli said. I feel bad for Cervelli, if he is telling the truth, because from his version his name is being unfairly sullied. At one point, he referenced his numbers as a defense catcher for why he didn't use PEDs. That really isn't a valid point, but it was funny.
4. MEDIA TRAINING: The Yankees are having media training this morning. The Yankees watched a 28-minute video on the "dos and don'ts" of dealing with the media.
QUESTION: Your predictions: Will Mo announce his retirement or address the issue at all today?