- Wallace Matthews, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
TAMPA, Fla. -- The Yankees lost for the seventh time in eight preseason games, 10-5 to the Philadelphia Phillies on Friday at The Boss, and once again, they were very generous with the outs, committing four errors and allowing six unearned runs. Three of the errors were made at third base, one by Kevin Youkilis and two by Addison Maruszak, and one by Kyle Roller at first base. Hiroki Kuroda started but didn't make it out of the second inning, although he was only charged with one run.
Here's what else:
1. YOUNG YIPS: Once again, Joe Girardi attributed the errors to nerves. "We got a lot of young players out there, and they're going to get plenty of playing time, so they got to learn to relax," he said.
2. THE NEW M&M BOYS: That would be Ronnier Mustelier and Melky Mesa, both of whom hit solo homers. Musty's was a pinch-hit, opposite-field shot in the sixth, Mesa's was to left, and both came at the expense of Raul Valdes.
3. RIFLE ARM: Francisco Cervelli gunned down another baserunner, Jimmy Rollins, to end the fourth. Cervelli also threw out two runners in the split-squad game in Kissimmee on Thursday, and he is 5-for-6 against would-be base thieves. He also had a single and a double.
4. JUAN-DERFUL, JUAN-DERFUL: Juan Rivera strengthened his case to win the starting LF/right-handed hitting DH job with two more hits, a single and double, to raise his spring average to .462. His rival, Matt Diaz, did not play, but is 2-for-11 so far (.182) and has grounded into two DPs.
5. IT'S NOT WHAT YOU WANT: Even though it's only spring training, and in a normal spring the Yankees would have only started playing games on March 1, Girardi admitted it is no fun to look at the record and see that your team is 1-7, having lost seven straight since their opening day win over the Braves. "I mean, you’re not pleased," Girardi said. "But we really haven’t had our normal rotation in there. But I don’t like to lose no matter what time of year it is. We’re capable of playing better. We showed that the first day. We’re going to win a game again, I’m sure."