- Mike Mazzeo, ESPN New York Writer
- 0 Shares
And that's because Rasner got hurt.
Phelps recorded one out -- one more than Rasner did on May 19, 2007 -- and was booed off the mound in the Yankees' 9-4 loss to the Mets at Yankee Stadium.
"I just left balls up and I paid for it," said Phelps, who surrendered a season-high five runs on four hits while walking two in just one-third of an inning.
"It stinks, but I'm not going to let it kill me."
The 26-year-old right-hander, who previously had allowed just one first-inning run all season, came in with a 2.63 ERA in his previous four starts.
"He just didn't have it," manager Joe Girardi said.
But with the bases loaded and one out, Jayson Nix booted what should've been an inning-ending double-play grounder off the bat of Marlon Byrd, allowing David Wright to score. The next batter, Ike Davis, delivered a two-run single that knocked Phelps out of the game.
In Phelps' previous start, he took a liner off his shoulder.
"He felt great, he just had a stinker," Girardi said.
Phelps became the first Yankees starter to exit having recorded only one out in a non-injury situation since Alex Graman on July 19, 2004m at Tampa Bay.
For the record, Rasner was struck in the hand by a comebacker and left two batters on.
• Ivan Nova had a solid outing in relief of Phelps, throwing the final five innings while allowing just one run and striking out six.
"I was aggressive and I threw a lot of strikes," Nova said.
If Nova keeps this up, perhaps he'll find himself back in the rotation.
• Brennan Boesch recorded a season-high three hits, his most hits in a game since July 3, 2012, with Detroit vs. Minnesota.
• The nine runs allowed were the most surrendered by the Yankees to the Mets since a 15-6 loss on June 27, 2008m at the old Yankee Stadium.
• The last time the Yankees (0-3) lost the Subway Series to the Mets was in 2008 (2-4).
• The Yankees' four straight losses are a season-high.
In the history of the Subway Series, the only Yankees pitcher to have a shorter start than David Phelps' Wednesday night outing was Darrell Rasner.And that's because Rasner got hurt.