One Mo Time: Rivera vs. Angels
August, 12, 2013
By Katie Sharp and Mark Simon | ESPNNewYork.com
Getty ImagesMariano Rivera pitches during the series-clinching Game 6 of the 2009 ALCS vs the Angels.
By the Numbers
Rivera's career regular season stats vs. Angels
8 blown saves
62⅓ innings pitched
26 earned runs
Did You Know
• Rivera's first-ever appearance in pinstripes came in a start against the Angels on May 23, 1995. He allowed five runs on eight hits in 3⅓ innings in the 10-0 loss (opposing pitcher Chuck Finley struck out 15 and pitched a two-hit shutout). The eight hits Rivera allowed in that first career game are the most hits he's given up in a single game.
• Tony Phillips was Mariano's first strikeout victim in the first inning of that first career game, and Tim Salmon became the first person to get a hit off Rivera two batters later.
• Rivera's 28 saves against the Angels are the second-most vs the franchise all-time behind Dennis Eckersley's 32.
• Rivera has converted his last 15 save opportunities against the Angels in regular-season play. His last regular-season blown save against them was May 11, 2004, when Bengie Molina hit a two-run game-tying homer in the ninth inning.
• Rivera has two one-pitch saves in his career and one of them came against the Angels on June 4, 2011 (the other is vs the Blue Jays in 2005).
• Mariano has been much better against Angels in the postseason than the regular season. In 11 postseason innings he has allowed a .132 slugging percentage vs the Angels, his second-lowest vs any team in the playoffs.
• Rivera has a 3.75 ERA vs the Angels, his worst ERA vs any team in his career. And his 1.28 WHIP vs the Angels is also his worst WHIP vs any team.
• Mariano has thrown three wild pitches against the Angels, his most against any team.
• Rivera has converted only 78 percent of his save opportunities vs the Angels (28 of 36), his worst rate vs any AL team.
• Only two players have hit a game-tying homer with two outs in the ninth inning against Rivera at Yankee Stadium: Miguel Cabrera last week and Mo Vaughn, who did so for the Angels in 2000.
They said it
“It was good. I walked. It would have been pretty cool to get a hit off him. But just being out there, being in the box, facing him, and him having that great stuff. That was pretty good.”
-- Angels outfielder Mike Trout on facing Rivera for the first time
• May 23, 1995 - Rivera makes his major-league debut in a start against the Angels in California. Mariano took the loss, allowing a career-high eight hits and five earned runs in 3⅓ innings.
• May 17, 1996 - Mariano gets his first career save (game was started by Andy Pettitte). He pitched one inning of scoreless relief against the Angels, allowing only a hit and getting Garret Anderson to ground into a double play to end the game.
• October 25, 2009 - Rivera gets the save in the series-clinching win against the Angels in Game 6 of the ALCS. The Yankees would go on to win the World Series.
• June 16, 2013 - The Yankees nearly fritter away a 6-0 lead in the ninth inning against the Angels. But Rivera strikes out Albert Pujols with the score 6-5, the bases loaded and two outs to save the day.
Final St. John's 74 Providence 79 Final Seton Hall 64 3 Villanova 63 Final Rutgers 31 5 Louisville 92 Final Fordham 74 Dayton 87
8:00 PM ET NY Rangers Winnipeg 7:00 PM ET San Jose NY Islanders 7:30 PM ET New Jersey Florida
7:00 PM ET Seton Hall Providence 7:00 PM ET NC State 11 Syracuse
12:00 PM ET Milwaukee New York 7:00 PM ET Brooklyn Washington
7:00 PM ET Buffalo NY Islanders 7:00 PM ET New Jersey Tampa Bay
1:05 PM ET Yankees Orioles 9:05 PM ET Marlins Yankees 1:10 PM ET Twins Mets 4:05 PM ET Mets Cubs