Mariano Rivera delivers the last pitch versus the Orioles in the final game at the old Yankee Stadium.All season, we've been tracking Mariano Rivera as he prepares to pitch in his final series against each team. Next up on the goodbye list: the Baltimore Orioles.
By the Numbers
Rivera's career stats vs. Orioles
9 blown saves
138 2/3 innings pitched
47 earned runs
Postseason (1996 ALCS)
0 blown saves
4 innings pitched
0 earned runs
Did you know?
• Rivera's 77 saves versus the Orioles are not only the most by any player versus the O's, they are also the most saves against a single franchise by any pitcher, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Next on the list is Trevor Hoffman with 68 saves versus the Dodgers.
• Rivera has pitched more innings (138 2/3), more games (133) and faced more batters (554) versus the Orioles than any other team in the majors.
• Rivera has been far better on the road against the Orioles than at home. He has a 4.25 ERA and opponent OPS of .735 at Yankee Stadium versus the Orioles, and a 1.97 ERA and opponent OPS of .480 at Camden Yards versus the Orioles.
• Rivera has 41 saves at Camden Yards, which is by far the most of any visiting player at the stadium and is the most saves by any visitor at a single ballpark, according to Elias. In fact, only two Orioles have more saves at Camden Yards -- Jorge Julio (43) and Jim Johnson (54).
• His batting average allowed of .173 at Camden Yards is Rivera's second lowest at any ballpark where he has pitched at least 15 innings.
• His most dominant stretch against Baltimore came during a near three-year period from Sept. 5, 2004, to June 27, 2007. In that span, he appeared in 16 games versus the Orioles and threw 17 2/3 scoreless innings, striking out 14 of the 63 batters he faced while allowing only 11 baserunners.
• Rivera had 10 saves against the Orioles in 2004, his most against any team in a single season. That's tied for the most by any pitcher against an AL team (Neftali Feliz had 10 against the Angels in 2010 and Jose Valverde had 10 against the Royals in 2011), and one shy of the most by a pitcher against any team (Armando Benitez had 11 against the Mets in 2004).
• Rivera has nine losses against the Orioles, the most he has against any franchise.
• His ERA of 3.05 against the Orioles is his second-highest versus any AL team (3.75 vs. the Angels).
They Said It
"Mariano certainly has a good track record for throwing the ball over the plate. He's been trying to get a little more depth to his breaking ball, but he's been able to get people out by locating his fastball, changeup and slider. And he's a good athlete. A real good athlete."
-- Buck Showalter to the New York media before Rivera's MLB debut on May 23, 1995
• Oct. 9, 1996: Rivera pitched two scoreless innings in Game 1 of the 1996 ALCS and earned the win in one of the most memorable Yankees victories that postseason, when Bernie Williams hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 11th inning.
• Sept. 21, 2008: Rivera got Brian Roberts to ground out for the final out of the last game ever played at the old Yankee Stadium, closing out a 7-3 win against the Orioles.