Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Afternoon notes: Mo, Cash & Jeter
By Andrew Marchand
TAMPA, Fla. -- So far today, no executives have jumped out of any planes so let's get to some Afternoon Notes.
1. MO TO GO?: Joe Girardi hinted that Mariano Rivera will make his spring debut on Wednesday. Girardi wouldn't fully commit to the plan, but Rivera's throw day is Wednesday so it makes sense that Rivera could face the Dominican Republic. He possibly could face Yankee teammate, Robinson Cano.
2. MANUTE BOL THIN: The Yankees' lack of depth is apparent again with the injury to Mark Teixeira. The first names Girardi mentioned as backups to Teixeira were Juan Rivera and Dan Johnson. Girardi also brought up Kevin Youkilis, but then, of course, the Yankees don't have someone they consider a real backup for Youkilis at third. In other words, if Teixeira's injury turns out to be serious, the Yankees have a real mess.
"I told him I would never do it," Girardi said. "He is a brave man."
4. CC, A-OK: Sabathia threw two innings and feels like he is right on schedule to be ready for Opening Day against the Red Sox on April 1.
As for appearing in his first exhibition, Sabathia's turn could be Sunday against Toronto, but he agrees with Girardi that letting AL East teams see him as infrequently as possible is best. In other words, don’t expect to see him in Toronto on Sunday.
5. EASY DOES IT: Hughes (bulging disk) said he continues to improve as he tries to ready for a game by the middle of this month so he can be prepared for his first start of the regular season. Hughes, who worked out lightly on Tuesday, will throw long toss Wednesday. He said he will not try to push things too fast.
"This rehab is being taken slowly right now," Hughes said. "I want to make sure I’m 100 percent going forward and not 95 percent and risk the chance of this coming up again and be on the shelf for two weeks in April and then I have to worry about coming back and rehab starts and all that."
6. CAPTAIN LOG:Derek Jeter ran the bases on Tuesday afternoon. He looked fine. No word yet on when Jeter will be in a game, but it should be relatively soon, maybe this weekend.
7. ALL EYES ON CANO: Playing for the Dominican Republic, Robinson Cano nailed a homer against the Phillies on Tuesday. As the television replay showed up on the clubhouse TV, all his teammates were watching No. 24 do his work.