Friday, July 12, 2013
One Mo Time: Rivera vs. Twins
By Katie Sharp and Mark Simon
AP Photo/Kathy KmonicekFor the remainder of the 2013 season, we will look ahead to Mariano Rivera's matchups against teams he will be facing for the final time in the regular season. (We missed out on the Diamondbacks, but we'll circle back and play catch-up with that one eventually.)
Mariano acknowledges the crowd after getting his record-breaking 602nd career save in a win over the Twins on September 19, 2011.
Next up in our series, a look at Rivera's history against the Minnesota Twins.
By the Numbers
Mariano Rivera's career stats vs. Twins
4 blown saves
71 2/3 innings pitched
45 hits allowed
Postseason (2003 ALDS, 2004 ALDS, 2009 ALDS, 2010 ALDS)
1 blown save
16 2/3 innings pitched
8 hits allowed
Did You Know?
• Rivera has 35 saves vs. the Twins, the most of any player vs. the franchise.
• If Rivera converts his next save opportunity vs. the Twins, it will be the third time in his career that he's converted 10 straight save opportunities against the Twins. He had one streak that lasted from 1997 to 2000 and another that started in September 2000 and ended in 2005.
• Rivera has a 1.26 ERA vs. the Twins, his third-lowest vs. any team he's pitched at least 10 innings against. The only teams he has a lower ERA against are Tigers (0.77) and White Sox (1.21).
• Mariano has allowed a .449 OPS against the Twins in his career, his second-lowest vs. any AL team (excluding Astros).
• On July 2, Mariano got a save vs. the Twins throwing just two pitches. It is only the fifth time in his career he's had a save with two or fewer pitches. He also had two such saves in 1999, one in 2005 and one in 2011.
• Rivera had one career start vs. the Twins on July 16, 1995. He allowed one run in six innings, one of two career starts he pitched at least six innings and allowed one run or fewer (also vs White Sox on July 4, 1995).
• Mariano has seven career regular-season relief appearances of at least three scoreless innings pitched. Four of those have come against the Twins, and all were in 1996 (including three in April alone).
• Rivera has not allowed a run in 16 2/3 innings pitched against Minnesota in the postseason. That is his most postseason innings pitched without allowing a run vs. any team. It is also the longest current streak of its kind in the majors by any pitcher, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
• Rivera's 12 postseason appearances against the Twins matches his most vs. any team (Red Sox). His five postseason saves vs. Minnesota are one shy of his most vs any team (Red Sox).
• Mariano has been on the mound for the final out of three postseason series against the Twins. He's recorded the most series-clinching outs against a single team of any pitcher.
They said it
"He's kind of done it all the right way. When you talk about respect of the game, he'll be right up there at the top. He's a player you respect, and the way he's gone about it. A classy individual." (AP, 7/2/13)
- Twins manager Ron Gardenhire
• September 19, 2011 - Mariano tossed a perfect ninth inning to close out a 6-4 win over the Twins. It was his 602nd career save, breaking the all-time saves record set by Trevor Hoffman.
• October 9, 2004 - In Game 4 of the ALDS, Rivera pitched the final two innings of an 11-inning victory vs the Twins, allowing zero baserunners and earning the win to clinch the series.