- Andrew Marchand, ESPN Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
NEW YORK -- New York Yankees first round pick James Kaprielian spoke with local scribes for the first time Tuesday. The 21-year-old Kaprielian -- the UCLA righty chosen at No. 16 -- came across as well spoken during the slightly less than 10-minute session. Here are the highlights.
1) Special agent: Kaprielian is being represented by Scott Boras.
"I'm very happy about the opportunity," Kaprielian said when asked if he wanted to sign quickly. "I'm going to let the business portion work itself out."
2) Saying the right things: He said that he watched the Los Angeles Angels, whose stadium is very close to where he was raised in Tustin, California, growing up. He also said he watched the Yankees.
"They were definitely one of my favorite teams," Kaprielian said of the Yankees.
He said when his dad was his Little League coach, they were always the Yankees.
3) Favorite Pitcher: Mariano Rivera
4) Major League: He is a political science major at UCLA and plans to finish his degree.
5) As a college guy, do you have a vision be on the fast-track and be in the majors in a year?
"Absolutely," Kaprielian said. "Anybody who wants to be at that level needs to hold that vision and have the confidence to get to that point. Obviously, my goal is to become a major league baseball player. There is going to be a process of learning."
6) Two-sport star: He grew up a baseball and football player. He played safety, linebacker and receiver in high school.
7) Phil Hughes connection: Hughes is also from Tustin, but the two have never met.
8) How about Alex Rodriguez: Rodriguez worked out at UCLA during his suspension. The two did not meet, but Kaprielian kept his eye on A-Rod's workouts.
"It was definitely fun to watch him go about his work," Kaprielian said. "Every time he was out there, I always had eyes out there, just to watch his work in the batting cage and how diligent he was."
9) Yankee Stadium: He visited the old stadium once as a kid after going to Cooperstown.