Friday Morning Beastlines
October, 22, 2010
By Matt Mosley | ESPN.com
Let's take a quick spin around the division this morning. I'll be away from the blog for much of the day while preparing two columns for Saturday. Thanks in advance for your patience:
- In an effort to reduce a staggering amount of penalties, Wade Phillips is hosting officials at practice -- for the rest of the season, according to ESPNDallas.com's excellent beat man Calvin Watkins.
- Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News delves into this topic as well.
- David Moore of the DMN says that more teams are going to pick on Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins after seeing all the penalties he's drawn.
- Here's what DeMarcus Ware said to reporters about Jerry Jones' speech this week.
- The Dallas Morning News now providing transcripts from Nate Newton's radio show on ESPN 103.3 FM in Dallas-Fort Worth. Nate said he'd start "getting rid of players."
- Brandon Williams has received a promotion on special teams, according to Watkins of ESPNDallas.com.
- Eagles left tackle King Dunlap is returning to his hometown Sunday, writes the Inquirer's Jeff McLane. He's trying to guard against being too excited.
- Ed Barkowitz of the Daily News says that Chris Johnson will pose quite a threat to the Eagles' D.
- Les Bowen of the Daily News says this should be a good measuring-stick game for the Eagles.
- Mathias Kiwanuka says there's no timetable on his return from a neck injury, according to Hank Gola and Ralph Vacchiano of the Daily News.
- Chase Blackburn thinks the league's new emphasis on helmet-to-helmet hits will result in more ACL tears, writes Gola.
- The NFL said the Giants were in compliance with league rules when they placed Victor Cruz on injured reserve because of a hamstring issue, writes Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com.
- Former Rutgers player Shaun O'Hara wants to help Eric LeGrand, the defensive tackle who suffered a spinal cord injury this past Saturday.
- Mike Garafolo has more on Kiwanuka's injury.
- Johnette Howard of ESPNNewYork.com has the latest from safety Deon Grant regarding the league's push for player safety.
- John Keim of the Washington Examiner has a report on Carlos Rogers' butterfingers.
- Rick Maese of the Post says that Mike Shanahan's trying to get Donovan McNabb to "widen his base" before he throws.
- Are the Skins on pace to have the worst-rated defense (yards allowed) in league history? Bary Svrluga of the Post has more on this story.