Thursday Morning Beastlines
November, 18, 2010
By Matt Mosley | ESPN.com
Let's take a quick tour around the most fascinating division in the NFL this morning:
- The master of the lectern, Jason Garrett, has brought game balls back to Valley Ranch, writes ESPNDallas.com's Calvin Watkins.
- Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com thinks Garrett is making himself at home as the interim head coach.
- New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck had some kind words for Dez Bryant: "He's just one of those players that every time he touches the ball, you have to have an account of where he is in every situation -- special teams, as a wide receiver, even when he's running a reverse. He's one those players that can beat you. They're going to do their best to get him the ball, but however they do it, he becomes the most dangerous person on the field when he has the football. But we knew that, we understand that he's a great talent."
- So who actually "won" in the Roy Williams trade? Do we even need to ask the question? Just because the Lions didn't hit on all those picks doesn't mean it was a wise decision by the Cowboys.
- Jen Floyd-Engel of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram says, "Great job, Jerry!" over the drafting of Dez Bryant. I guess we won't bring up the '08 and '09 draft classes right now.
- An influential Dallas pastor compares Jon Kitna to Tony Dungy in terms of leadership, writes Clarence E. Hill of the Star-Telegram.
- Les Bowen of the Daily News says we never saw it coming with quarterback Michael Vick back in training camp.
- The Inquirer has dispatched Ashley Fox to East Rutherford, N.J., for a day or two. And guess which former Eagles player is having some back trouble.
- As the Daily News' talented NFL man Paul Domowitch knows, it never hurts to lead with a Rodgers and Hammerstein reference. For the under-40 crowd, go rent "Oklahoma!" and try to figure out what the hell's going on during that dream sequence.
- The Giants have a plan for Michael Vick -- and it could be painful for the quarterback.
- The Eagles are going green -- with new wind turbines and solar panels at the Linc for next season.
- The most prolific tweeter in the New York media, Ohm Youngmisuk, takes a break to write a column on Eagles quarterback Michael Vick.
- After two consecutive starts at left tackle, Shawn Andrews' back is hurting. Stop me if you've heard this one.
- Vick is playing so well that it took two Times writers to pull off this story.
- Only four days after getting torched by Jon Kitna, the Giants are talking tough about Michael Vick, writes Gary Myers.
- Matt Terl of the Redskins Blog has an entertaining item on Vonnie Holliday and Albert Haynesworth.
- Sally Jenkins of the Post points out that Donovan McNabb hasn't been very good this season.
- Dan Steinberg of Sports Bog fame makes a good point about the Redskins alleged "waitlist" for season tickets.
- The Mayor himself, Jason Reid of the Post, takes a look at what McNabb's contract is really worth.