Knee-jerk reaction Monday
September, 28, 2009
By Matt Mosley | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
The Beast will provide live coverage of "Monday Night Football" beginning at about 7:30 p.m. ET. But before we get to Cowboys-Panthers, let's take a look at what folks around the country are saying about the Eagles, Giants and Redskins:
- Phil Sheridan steps away from the Michael Vick parade to praise the work of young Kevin Kolb. And Kolb didn't exactly give the Chiefs' defense a ringing endorsement: "I don't even feel like I played a game," Kolb told reporters after the game. "I don't know if I got touched today. I truly believe if you put a lot of quarterbacks in that situation where they're not going to get touched, they're going to throw for 300 yards."
- Ashley Fox of the Inquirer documents Vick's first game back.
- Sam Donnellon of the Daily News writes about LeSean McCoy's "complete" effort.
- Bob Ford of the Inquirer says that maybe all this uncertainty about the Eagles isn't such a bad thing -- in light of watching the Chiefs.
- I tried to tell you guys that Brent Celek was quietly becoming a really good tight end. He had a big day against the Chiefs.
- Here's Les Bowen's "Morning After" column from the Eagletarian. Not that you care about the Chiefs, but Kansas City Star columnist Jason Whitlock wasn't holding anything back this morning.
- The dean of Giants beat writers, the immortal Vinny DiTrani, weighs in the shutout victory over the Bucs.
- Daily News beat man Ralph Vacchiano leads his notebook with a Justin Tuck report.
- George Willis of the New York Post writes about what Tom Coughlin called "a true Giant physical day."
- Apparently our guy Gary Myers no longer travels. Hank Gola does the honors for the Daily News, explaining that the Giants' alleged identity crisis was addressed in the drubbing of the Bucs.
- Wallace Matthews of Newsday said the Giants are doing just fine without Plaxico Burress. For some reason I thought we were past this.
- Drew Rosenhaus says that Kenny Phillips' knee injury is not as bad as everyone's making it out to be.
- You have to love the headline to this Jason Reid story in the Post: "Fail to the Redskins"
- Ryan O'Halloran does a nice job on his Monday Morning Quarterback -- but isn't that name already taken?
- Thomas Boswell can still sneak a 30-inch column into the newspaper. This one deals with the Skins' focus on potential rather than actual progress.
- Washington Times columnist Dan Daly says the Skins didn't get the message from their fans.
- Another classic blog entry from the Post's Dan Steinberg. He's gathered up all the reaction to the Skins' performance -- including a note on Tom Cruise's daughter.