NFC East Hashlines
July, 7, 2008
By Matt Mosley | ESPN.com
This isn't really connected to the NFC East, but it's an interesting discussion of steroids in the NFL. It's staggering how many Steelers players from the 1970s have died, although we don't know how many of those deaths were related to steroids.
- Another death in the Cowboys' family. Murphy Martin was a true original. Growing up in the Dallas area in the 1970s, we were fortunate enough to have Martin and Verne Lundquist on our local ABC affiliate.
- It's looking like Brad Johnson will once again be the backup quarterback. And talks with safety Ken Hamlin about a new contract are "ongoing," according to Jerry Jones.
- What are the odds of the Cowboys going 16-0? Calvin Watkins discusses that topic on the Cowboys Blog.
- Tom Curran of NBCsports.com has a list of NFL coaches on the hot seat. And Wade Phillips is near the top of the list.
- Newy Scruggs, a sports director for the Dallas-Fort Worth NBC affiliate, doesn't understand why poor Wade Phillips didn't get a raise. Well, it could have something to do with Jerry having to pay for Wade's replacement a year in advance.
- The Cowboys have a talented cornerback that no one's talking about.
- Did you realize that Brett Favre was "overhyped" and "overrated?" Send your emails to Jacques Taylor of the Dallas Morning News.
- I forgot to share this Mark Eckel column about the Eagles' linebackers last week. A few scouts have wondered whether Stewart Bradley is suited to play middle linebacker.
- In case you left the office early for a long weekend, here's Paul Kuharsky's column on The Freak. Some good stuff here for Eagles fans.
- This is a big season for Eagles linebacker Chris Gocong, according to realfootball365.com.
- The New York Giants have been nominated for six ESPY Awards.
- Aaron Ross' fiancÚ, Sanya Richards, won the 400 at the U.S. Olympic Track and Field trials in Eugene, Ore. I called Ross about 45 minutes before the race, but he was obviously tied up.
- An Arkansas newspaper picks the Giants to win the NFC East.
- Most of the Giants' beat writers are on vacation right now, but you should bookmark this new link for Mike Garafolo's blog.
- Phil Simms looks at how the game has changed since he played. And what do his kids think of his playing days?
- Thanks to Grant Paulsen of the Free-Lance Star for writing about the Redsins' wide receivers during the dog days.
- Seventh-round draft choice Chris Horton of UCLA is determined to make the roster.
- What do we know about Jason Campbell at this point? And I'm calling for a blog-wide ban on references to Bill Parcells' "show me the baby" line.