Monday, August 4, 2008
Redskins Replay: Looking at Zorn's debut
By Dan Graziano
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
- As Jason La Canfora reports in the Washington Post, Redskins head coach Jim Zorn certainly looked the part in his first preseason game. I'm headed to Ashburn, Va., this afternoon to visit with Zorn and the rest of the Redskins. Let me know if there's something you want me to ask.
- Jason Reid of the Post has a recap of Zorn's head-coaching debut. The main thing was that Washington avoided any serious injuries and that all the quarterbacks looked sharp. Colt Brennan's sidearm delivery looked strange, but he was highly effective, going 9-of-10 for 123 yards and a touchdown. And I'd like to see more of this Marcus Mason. He was playing against backups, but you have to like his quickness and hands. The Redskins appear to be stacked at running back, but perhaps Mason can sneak onto the roster if he can play special teams.
- Nice column by the Post's Mike Wise talking about how Zorn doesn't need to be haunted by the past:
"The slate is clean, the last vestiges of those halcyon Redskins days committed to memory, upstairs from the life-size statue of Jim Thorpe, stiff-arming museum visitors for eternity," writes Wise.
"If Zorn can be glad about anything when he leaves Canton this weekend, he can be glad about this: It is time for this franchise and its legions to move forward after 20-odd years of memorably looking back."
- Redskins linebacker Matt Sinclair said the mic inside his helmet was bothering him last night, so he yanked it out. Someone explain to me again why the second helmet with a two-way device has to be kept in a box on the sideline. Is that the backup plan?
- Durant Brooks got off to a strong start in the punting competition with a 46-yard average on four punts.
- Was it just me or did Chris Horton look pretty impressive Sunday night? Also liked Rob Jackson out of Kansas State.