Monday, February 28, 2011
Giants have big decision on Kiwanuka
By Dan Graziano
In case you missed it, New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese reversed ground on defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka on Saturday. In the morning, he basically said the player's career was hanging in the balance. But that evening, Kiwanuka had been cleared to return to the field.
"After I spoke to the media this morning at the combine, I had a conversation with [vice president of medical services] Ronnie Barnes, who confirmed for me that last night we did receive the final written evaluation that gives Mathias medical clearance to return to the field," Reese said in a statement. "The consensus of all of the spine physicians and Dr. [Russ] Warren is that it is safe for Mathias to return to play.
"I have talked to Mathias and he is fully committed to returning to football."
And there you have it. I'm sure Reese wishes his medical folks had reached out to him with an update before his media session. It was a good bet that someone might ask about Kiwanuka's future. I still think the Giants will offer Kiwanuka a one-year contract and see how he performs.
If Kiwanuka's concerned about his health on the field, then he's not going to be the same player. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I know defensive coordinator Perry Fewell would give anything to have Kiwanuka back for another season. Fewell pointed to Kiwanuka's absence as a reason the Giants collapsed late in the season.