NFC East: Jim Fassel
- David Moore, a believer in the Cosby sweater collection, says that Wade Phillips saved his job when he asked to become the full-time defensive coordinator.
- Nice column by ESPNDallas.com's Tim MacMahon on how the players should be held to the same standard as the coaches.
- Randy Galloway of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram takes a look at the Cowboys' biggest needs heading into the offseason.
- Jacques Taylor of the Dallas Morning News thinks Phillips essentially received a one-year extension.
- Moneyball disciple Gerry Fraley says that Jerry Jones is still holding Phillips' feet to the fire.
- Gil LeBreton of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram thinks Jones sent Phillips a mixed message.
- The esteemed NFL writer Paul Domowitch from the Daily News compares Rex Ryan's approach to Andy Reid's.
- If you'd like to find out more about Michael Vick's new reality show, check out Les Bowen's blog.
- Rich Hofmann of the Daily News made the trip to visit Buddy's son, Rex.
- New Browns general manager Tom Heckert has begun the process of hiring his old Eagles pals.
- Former Giants coach Jim Fassel says he hasn't talked to the Raiders, writes Paul Schwartz of the Post.
- Slim pickins' on the Giants today. I'll try to come up with something by the end of the day.
- The Redskins added two defensive assistants Thursday.
- Former Skins offensive coordinator Sherman Smith will coach running backs in Seattle.
- The Redskins also have a new offensive line coach -- courtesy of Mike Singletary.
I try to throw Beastlines on your "doorstep" every morning, but the Giants and Redskins' editions are running late today. Fortunately, that's given us a chance to scour the Internet for the latest updates on these particular teams. Oh, and let me know whether you guys are planning to take Memorial Day off. I'm here if you need me.
- Sam Garnes and Jim Fassel have been reunited. Don't sleep on Tom Rock of Newsday.
- If you're in the Manhattan area this evening at about 10 p.m., check out David Diehl's comedy act. Paul Schwartz of the New York Post has the full story on why Diehl's agreed to take part in a series of comedy sketches in a show called "12 Angry Mascots."
- As the Bleacher Report demonstrates, it's never too early to talk about training camp battles.
- If the Jets came to you guys for advice on whether to sign Plaxico Burress, what would you tell them?
- I'm not quite sure this link belongs, so I'll put it here for now: KC Joyner provides an excellent report from the benefit for Paul (Dr. Z) Zimmerman. How is this applicable to the Giants -- or the NFC East as a whole? Well, Dr. Z has spent a great deal of time covering each of the teams in the division. And he's going through a really tough time right now. Kudos to Peter King for doing so much to help Dr. Z. I've had the pleasure of becoming friends with Peter over the last few years and his devotion to his craft (as well as young writers) is pretty remarkable.
- You know your career is hanging in the balance when Jerry Angelo's afraid to sign you. The Bears' GM stayed with troubled players such as Tank Johnson and Cedric Benson long after he should've replace them -- in my opinion of course. Now he's saying the Bears aren't one of the two teams reportedly hot and heavy for Plaxico Burress.
- In case you missed it Saturday, Ralph Vacchiano had an informative piece on rookie tight end Travis Beckum. (And it's all I can do not to call him "David").
- Ralph has joined the Twitter revolution. He's also considering Facebook.
- Since when did Mike Garafolo start taking vacations? If anyone sees him, please send him back to the Star-Ledger offices.
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
Former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel is casting his lot with the United Football League's Las Vegas franchise. The four-team league is set to begin playing on Thursday and Friday nights later this year, and Fassel is its first high-profile coach.
With the AFL sitting the year out and the economy in the tank, it seems like a curious time to launch a new league. But the UFL is pressing ahead. Fassel, a former NFL Coach of the Year, thinks it's legit:
"I'm excited," Fassel said. "I love coaching. But I wouldn't do this if I thought this was going to be a rinky-dinky, ugly-looking deal. I wouldn't do it for that."
With teams from Monterrey, Mexico; Hartford; and Salt Lake City, the UFL should have some great natural rivalries. And I don't even want to think about that San Fran-Vegas matchup. I'll give you a heads-up when we get ready to launch the UFL blog.
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
- Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Star-Telegram has the latest on Dan Reeves.
- Brad Townsend has the latest on the Bob Hayes family saga.
- Some strong words from the great Drew Pearson regarding the current state of the Cowboys.
- More on the Hayes situation from Hill.
- Rich Hofmann is wondering if Donovan McNabb could ever do what Kurt Warner and Ben Roethlisberger did Sunday?
- Les Bowen said the Eagles are doomed to view the Lomardi trophy from afar.
- Reuben Frank updates us on the coaching changes.
- Former Giants coach Jim Fassel has finally found another gig.
- David Tyree still thinks his catch was better.
- The Redskins have a new corporate home. Yeeeesssss!!!!