NFC East: Michael Westbrook
|Charles Small/US Presswire|
|Eagles players were excited to hear about the addition of Michael Vick.|
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
PHILADELPHIA -- In the locker room, dog killings apparently won't matter.
Neither will the protests nor the media horde nor the fan backlash over Michael Vick.
His new teammates intend to wrap him in a cocoon, defend him, welcome him not only as a Philadelphia Eagle, but also as a returning member of the NFL brotherhood.
V-Day finally dropped Thursday, when word finally broke that the disgraced former Atlanta Falcons quarterback had been granted another chance in the NFL after serving a 23-month sentence for his role in a dogfighting enterprise.
"He's definitely going to be embraced," Eagles cornerback Ellis Hobbs said. "The NFL is a fraternity of brothers. When you bring in a guy who's been through the things that he's been through, you want to surround him and protect him as much as possible because everybody's out there throwing stones at him.
"We want to be the protector, to let him know that once he comes in here it's safe havens. No one's going to judge you in here because any one of us can stumble. When somebody does fall like that, you bring him back in and you embrace him. You're still a person. You're still our brother."
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
- Jacques Taylor of the Dallas Morning News is taking a wait-and-see approach with the '09 Cowboys. He says it's not in his job description to be optimistic about their chances.
- Clarence E. Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram doesn't think Patrick Crayton had an agenda when he made a comment about Tony Romo and Jason Garrett on Monday.
- Randy Galloway of the Star-Telegram and 103.3 ESPN says Patrick Crayton better watch his mouth: "Although thinly disguised, that's obviously one last ode to Owens from his pal Crayton. And one more backdoor shot at his boss, offensive coordinator Garrett, and his quarterback, Romo. Big mistake, Patrick. Maybe even a fatal career mistake, at least as far as a local football career goes."
- Tim MacMahon of Cowboys Blog fame thinks Tony Romo should aspire to be a "bus driver" quarterback.
- The Cowboys hand over their keys to Texas Stadium.
- The Eagles have re-signed center/guard Nick Cole, who played well down the stretch in '08.
- Reuben Frank of the Burlington County Times has more on this story.
- In case you somehow missed it, there's a dispute between the City of Philadelphia and the Eagles over some old sky boxes.
- Here's what the Daily News had to say about Plaxico Burress' latest court appearance.
- Ralph Vacchiano of the Daily News tackles the football side of this story.
- The New York Post didn't have a lot to say on the topic.
- Here are some potential replacements for Plax.
- Sort of odd that the New York Times would bury this story in an NFL roundup. They could've been distracted by this important development. Not to be picky, but I think a semifinal win deserves more than a single sentence!
- Jason LaCanfora has an update on three Redskins free agents.
- Alex Buzbee is looking forward to a second chance following injury.