NFC East: Mike Garafalo
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
I've spent most of the morning reading different accounts of the New York Giants' 13-10 loss to the Detroit Lions. Of course, the New York media was focused on another little situation, but a few folks made the trip to Detroit for the preseason opener:
- According to Joshua Robinson of the New York Times, Eli Manning didn't exactly pick up where he left off last season. I watched that first drive, and he did look pretty uncertain. Then he looked OK on the second drive before getting the hook. So he was a little rusty in his first preseason start. Who cares? I would be more concerned with a defense that never got close to Jon Kitna.
- As Paul Schwartz reports in the Post, rookie linebacker Jonathan Goff out of Vanderbilt suffered an injury to his vertebra and could end up missing the entire season. It's a tough loss because it looked like Goff would definitely contribute to special teams. I didn't watch the entire game because I had to monitor Rangers-Yankees, but it looked like wide receiver Brandon London and rookie safety Kenny Phillips both had fine efforts.
- Ralph Vacchiano of the Daily News is saying that former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington could end up with the Giants. GM Jerry Reese didn't shoot that theory down.
- Tom Rock of Newsday also weighs in on a possible Pennington to the Giants scenario.
- Anthony Wright and David Carr had strong showings Thursday. And from reading Mike Garafolo's report in the Ledger, the Pennington thing doesn't seem likely to happen.
- Here's a story about Mathias Kiwanuka from two days ago that I forgot to link to.
- The Blue Screen reported earlier this week that Drew Rosenhaus left Albany again without nailing down a new deal for Plaxico Burress.