NFC East: Tank Daniels
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
As of two minutes ago, the Philadelphia Eagles had not reached new deals with unrestricted free agents Tra Thomas and Brian Dawkins. But I don't think that's something for Eagles fans to get too worked up about. Thomas and Dawkins might test the market, but I believe both of them will play for the Eagles next season.
It would make things really interesting if the Cowboys made a play for Dawkins. Seeing him in a Cowboys uniform would be deeply disturbing. But then, I seem to recall the great Harold Carmichael wearing a Cowboys uniform at the end of his career. NFL.com reporter Adam Schefter is reporting that Dallas is shopping safety Roy Williams, so they could obviously have an opening.
I still think both Thomas and Dawkins will return to the Eagles. The Eagles also offered one-year contracts (tenders) to wide receiver Hank Baskett, center/guard Nick Cole and linebacker Tank Daniels. Baskett's become a reliable third-down option for Donovan McNabb, but I don't think anyone's going to sign him to an offer sheet.
So will the Eagles live up to McNabb's expectations in free agency? Well, we're about to find out.
In the least surprising move of the day, the Cowboys have released backup quarterback Brad Johnson.
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley
PHILADELPHIA -- Here's a healthy portion of Beastlines as we prepare for tonight's game. Gorgeous day in Philly. High 50s with sunny skies. Temperatures will dip this evening, but nothing too severe. Now settle in for some of today's headlines from Philadelphia and New York:
- Here's a gripping piece in the Washington Post about former Bucs and Eagles offensive lineman Tom McHale.
- Bob Ford attempts to put tonight's game in perspective. He doesn't think the Eagles' season is over if they lose.
- Ashley Fox writes the definitive Steve Spagnuolo story.
- New Inquirer Page 2 columnist John Gonzalez wants to know why the Eagles are favored to win this game.
- The Daily News offers up some of the key matchups for tonight's game.
- Sean McCain takes a look at the two quarterbacks.
- Reuben Frank talks about the Giants-Eagles rivalry.
- Former Harding star Tank Daniels has always had good timing.
- Interesting story in the Times about how the defensive line prepares each week.
- Giants aren't planning to take mercy on Donovan McNabb in aftermath of the ridiculous Tuck penalty (which has been rescinded).
- Gary Myers of the Daily News makes predictions for the rest of season.
- Steve Serby of the Post thinks we may be watching a preview of the NFC Championship Game.
- Back by popular demand, another Steve Spagnuolo story.
- Jenny Vrentas has breakdown of tonight's game in the Star-Ledger.
- Tom Rock of Newsday writes about Philly fans.
- Mike Garafolo stops by Madison Hedgecock's farm.
Mike Garafolo of the Star-Ledger is reporting that the following Giants have been released today:
QB Anthony Wright
QB Andre' Woodson
FB Robert Douglas
WR Marcus Monk
WR Brandon London
TE Eric Butler
TE Jerome Collins
OL Kurt Quarterman
OL Na'Shan Goddard
OL Andrew Bain
OL Digger Bujnoch
DE Wallace Gilberry
DE Alex Morrow
DT Jeremy Clark
DT Ogemdi Nwagbuo
LB Tank Daniels
LB James Terry
CB Geoffrey Pope
S Stuart Schweigert
OL Cliff Louis
CB Darren Barnett
Once the list is official, I'll provide some analysis. I assume the Giants will try to add Woodson to their practice squad, but another team looking to develop a young quarterback (the Cowboys) might swoop him up. The biggest surprise I see is defensive end Wallace Gilberry. Defensive end Justin Tuck was raving about Gilberry when I talked to him in Albany two weeks ago. I thought he made a pretty big impression on the Giants' coaches. Now, the Giants will try to sneak him onto the practice squad.