Black and Blue all over: Bullocks mania
This is how player acquisitions get discussed among the general populace in the year 2009: Via YouTube highlight reels.
Yes, this is a small sampling, but the current cut-up making the rounds on new Chicago safety Josh Bullocks isn't exactly the stuff of inspiration. I can't embed it on this blog, but you can view it on the Chicago Tribune's blog here. Go ahead. It won't bite.
David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune is guessing the Bears believe new defensive backs coach Jon Hoke can point Bullocks in the right direction. Or maybe they'll find their actual 2009 free safety next month in the draft. All that's assured now is Bullocks will be in uniform for next week's mandatory minicamp at the Bears' practice facility.
Continuing around the NFC North:
- Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times believes it's possible the Bears will consider new free agents Marvel Smith and Kevin Shaffer if they cannot make a quick deal with free-agent offensive lineman John St. Clair.
- Bob LeGere of the Daily Herald looks back at the performances of recently-drafted wide receivers.
- Free-agent defensive end Michael Montgomery might make another visit before deciding whether to return to Green Bay, according to Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.
- Minnesota quarterback Tarvaris Jackson speaks with Judd Zulgad of the Star Tribune, among other things revealing that his now-infamous recruiting discussion with free-agent receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh was a 1-minute conversation -- by phone.
- Free-agent cornerback Karl Paymah is scheduled to visit the Vikings on Friday morning, according to Rick Alonzo of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
- The Star Tribune reports the Vikings are also considering a late run at free-agent fullback Leonard Weaver, who spent the past four seasons in Seattle.
- Pat Carter, who spent the past three seasons as Detroit's tight ends coach, is working as a volunteer coach for the University of North Alabama. Here's the story from the TimesDaily.