Black and Blue all over: Tweeting the Packers

April, 2, 2009
4/02/09
7:07
AM ET
Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

Here's a 2009 story if there ever was one: Green Bay linebacker Nick Barnett has questioned whether the Packers should step up their personnel efforts -- via Twitter.

According to this story from Greg A. Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Barnett sent the following message via his Twitter account Tuesday night:

"Ok question does anyone else think we need more d line man???"

Barnett confirmed that he sent the message to the Twitter Web site when a reporter asked him at halftime of a Milwaukee Bucks game.

When asked to expand during the interview, Barnett -- who is rehabilitating from knee surgery -- said:

"We've lost some guys; it's a new scheme. We have [Cullen] Jenkins on the outside, [Ryan] Pickett on the inside; we'll have [Johnny] Jolly with whatever happens with his situation. But the years that we've been very good on defense, we've had good depth on the defensive line with some good quality. We have some young guys coming up, but it's always good to have that very good depth at d-line."

Asked if general manager Ted Thompson should have done more in free agency, Barnett said:

"I think he's done some good things by keeping guys on the team. I think he's going to do some good things in the draft. Ted's style is not to overpay. He kind of does a good job of keeping guys on the team that he likes and in the draft we'll see what happens."

This doesn't exactly qualify as a rip of Thompson. But Barnett's assessment of the Packers' defensive line, as it stands right now, is fair and accurate.

Continuing around the NFC North:

  • Media members received a tour of the Packers' new weight room Wednesday, and Tom Pelissero of the Green Bay Press-Gazette filed this report. One nugget: "If you get caught sitting down, you have to do push-ups."
  • I'm not a big fan of Chicago's plan to play Orlando Pace at left tackle and Chris Williams on the right side. But Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times notes it's been done many times before -- including with future Hall of Famer Jonathan Ogden in Baltimore.
  • David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune believes the Bears will make an aggressive push for Denver quarterback Jay Cutler before it is all said and done.
  • Mike Mulligan of the Sun-Times reports the Broncos were requiring text and e-mail communication on Cutler because they couldn't keep up with the phone calls.
  • Not unexpected news: The Broncos don't want the Lions' No. 1 overall pick in exchange for Cutler, according to John Niyo of the Detroit News.
  • David Birkett of the Oakland Press doesn't see the Lions and Cutler as a good match.
  • Patrick Reusse of the Star Tribune doesn't mince words when it comes to Minnesota pursuing Cutler: "Frankly, I would rather take my chances with Michael Vick, a rehabilitated dog fighter, than a brat so sensitive that he goes into a world-class pout when his new coach explores the possibility of bringing in a quarterback with whom the coach had previously worked."

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?