Black and Blue all over: A first for Ryan Grant
Think about it: In his third season in Green Bay, tailback Ryan Grant just completed his first full Packers training camp.
Grant spent the summer of 2007 with the New York Giants before the Packers acquired him in a trade. Last summer, he missed the early portion of camp in a contract dispute and was sidelined by a hamstring injury soon after his arrival.
Now healthy and in good condition after a physical camp, Grant told Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal that he feels "more explosive." Most of all, however, he feels "just healthy."
Grant: "I can burst, I don't have to think about anything. When you're healthy, it's different. I thought about [the hamstring] a lot last year. A lot of times, I couldn't hit [the hole]. Mentally, I'd see it, but I couldn't hit it. I didn't have that burst. You don't know, you're just trying to gauge it. And the way I run, there's no time for gauging."
Look for Grant to get considerable playing time in Saturday night's preseason game against Buffalo.
Continuing around the NFC North:
- Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette wonders if upstart linebacker Desmond Bishop can find his way into the Packers' starting lineup.
- Chicago tailback Matt Forte will make his preseason debut Saturday against the New York Giants, notes Bob LeGere of the Daily Herald.
- Where will Bears linebacker Jamar Williams fit in? Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune looks at that question.
- Detroit safety Louis Delmas is hoping to live up to his nickname, "The Missile," writes Tim Twentyman of the Detroit News. Delmas will make his Lions debut Saturday night at Cleveland.
- Lions coach Jim Schwartz might use his starters in all four preseason games, much like mentor Jeff Fisher does in Tennessee. Nicholas J. Cotsonika of the Detroit Free Press considers that issue.
- Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press examines the marketing angle of Brett Favre's arrival in Minnesota.
- Favre brought presence, if not production, to his first appearance with the Vikings, writes Jim Souhan of the Star Tribune.