Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Vikings move on
By Kevin Seifert
Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The Vikings are moving on without defensive tackles Kevin Williams and Pat Williams, regardless of whether the players seek a legal injunction to lift their four-game suspensions.
Coach Brad Childress acknowledged the team plans to make at least one roster move to add defensive line depth. One possibility is veteran free agent Jimmy Kennedy, who was released last week by Jacksonville. Speaking extensively Wednesday about the suspension, Childress said he is expecting backups Ellis Wyms, Fred Evans and Letroy Guion to step into more prominent roles.
Childress chose his words carefully, but made clear he isn't totally on board with Pat Williams or Kevin Williams taking weight loss supplements. He called the entire situation "unfortunate" said he had "a lot of mixed feelings" on it. Ultimately, Childress said: "When you go through a season, at some point you're going to have some adversity."
Here are some bullet points on the story to this point:
- As of early afternoon, neither player had initiated any legal action. That doesn't mean it won't happen by the end of the day. Unless and until they are granted an injunction, Kevin Williams and Pat Williams are barred from the Vikings' practice facility.
- Wyms and Evans are the likely starters for Sunday's game at Detroit. Guion practiced Wednesday with a wrap on his injured left ankle. Anyone the Vikings sign, including Kennedy, wouldn't participate in practice until Thursday at the earliest.
- Here's what Childress said when asked if he was disappointed that both players took weight loss supplements instead of using other methods of making weight: "You know, those guys do a good job of keeping themselves in shape. Really, when you say 'resort' to staying in shape, that's not something that you stay in shape with. I'll leave it at that. Those guys do a good job taking care of their bodies."
- Pressed on the issue of weight-loss supplements, Childress added: "All I know about water pills or weight loss is that Miss America uses them, and neither one of these guys would fall under that category of using them for looks, I don't think. But I know that they're used and obviously available throughout. You can buy them off the shelves. You'd have to ask them."
- Childress wouldn't rule out defensive end Brian Robison from Sunday's game at Detroit, but it seems highly unlikely that Robison will play. He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Tuesday and did not practice Wednesday.