Thursday, April 15, 2010
B & B all over: 'Unlikely but possible'
By Kevin Seifert
Minnesota's stadium negotiations have continued to grow more interesting, if not more successful, this week. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf held a closed-door meeting with 20 state legislators Tuesday, and on Wednesday Gov. Tim Pawlenty did not rule out the possibility that public financing for a new stadium could be approved in the next month.
Pawlenty called that prospect "unlikely but possible," which actually is more optimistic than any public statements I've seen or heard him make. This report from the Star Tribune details a number of financing proposals under consideration to replace the Metrodome, including one that would require a less expensive design. The current price tag is $870 million.
The story suggests that, at the very least, a bill will be introduced before the end of the legislative session. The Vikings' Metrodome lease expires after the 2011 season. Stay tuned.
Continuing around the NFC North with the draft one week out:
- Minnesota punter Chris Kluwe on the new Wrangler jeans quarterback Brett Favre donated to his teammates: "They're very nice. I might need to break them in a little bit, though. They're kind of stiff. ... Maybe drag them behind my car for a couple miles." Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com has more.
- The Vikings moved receiver Darius Reynaud to running back after he played the role of New Orleans tailback Reggie Bush on the scout team prior to the NFC Championship Game, writes Chip Scoggins of the Star Tribune.
- Actor Dan Lauria will play former Green Bay coach Vince Lombardi in an upcoming Broadway show.
- The Packers hosted Tennessee quarterback Jonathan Crompton on a visit Wednesday, according to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- New Detroit cornerback Chris Houston is lobbying the Lions to draft Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh next month, writes Nicholas J. Cotsonika of the Detroit Free Press.
- Lions defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch will play primarily on the right side, according to Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com.
- Newly retired Lions tight end Casey FitzSimmons is still feeling the effects of his last concussion, writes John Niyo of the Detroit News.
- Chicago's contract with linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa is worth $875,000, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.
- Here are the fifth- and fourth-round installments of ESPN.com's best-ever draft series.