Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Black and Blue all over: All QBs, all the time
By Kevin Seifert
Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- We'll take the pulse in Green Bay one more time this morning before departing ... and, in all likelihood, passing the Brett Favre story on to colleague Pat Yasinskas of NFC South fame.
For now, however, let's take a look at quarterback issues around the NFC North:
- Kyle Orton will start the Chicago Bears' first preseason game Thursday against Kansas City at Soldier Field. The decision wasn't random -- there was no coin flip -- but coach Lovie Smith said there was "no real reason" for choosing Orton over Rex Grossman. The Bears will start Grossman in their second preseason game, Aug. 16 at Seattle, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.
- This preseason might be Dan Orlovsky's last chance to prove he should have a future with the Detroit Lions. He is currently battling Drew Stanton for the team's No. 2 job but is in his contract year, reports the Detroit Free Press.
- Minnesota Vikings fans are going to have to find something else to talk about besides the possibility of acquiring Favre, writes Tom Powers of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
- Plenty of other Packers legends have left the team before the end of their careers, writes Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. But none of the departures have been as unsightly as Favre's.
- You need a subscription to read the full column, but we'll give you this nugget of Bob McGinn's analysis of Favre's departure on the Web site of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: "Just about everyone who counted in the football department reached the conclusion that Favre could never win another championship." Wow. Apparently, that opinion was based mostly on Favre's second-half performance in the NFC championship game.