Monday, January 24, 2011
XLV: Green jerseys and a few days off
By Kevin Seifert
Let's hit a few administrative issues the Green Bay Packers tackled Monday, based on coach Mike McCarthy's evening news conference at Lambeau Field:
- As the home team for Super Bowl XLV, the Packers had the opportunity to choose their green or white jerseys. They chose green.
- Players will get some down time this week and resume practice Friday, the first day of game-plan installation. They will practice through Sunday in a schedule similar to their Wednesday-Friday pattern during the regular season.
- The team charter will arrive in North Texas next Monday. The NFL requires teams to be on site by Monday evening.
- The Packers' first on-site Super Bowl practice will be on Feb. 2.
- Team headquarters will be in Irving, Texas, near the site of the old Texas Stadium.
- The most significant new injury the Packers are dealing with is linebacker Erik Walden's ankle sprain. McCarthy said he isn't sure when Walden will be ready to practice. By my count, the Packers started four different players at Walden's position during the regular season. One of them, Frank Zombo, is still dealing with a knee injury. Rob Francois replaced Walden in Sunday's NFC Championship Game.