Wednesday, March 21, 2012
BBAO: Packers' interest in Tebow genuine
By Kevin Seifert
We're Black and Blue All Over:
We've lumped the Green Bay Packers into TebowWatch primarily because of some positive comments made two years ago by coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson. But citing a source, Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com reports the Packers truly have legitimate interest in acquiring Tebow and are doing their due diligence on him and the potential trade market.
As Wilde points out, Thompson tends to be methodical and might not be willing to move quickly if other teams approach the Denver Broncos to pull off a trade soon. But it apparently is not something that has been written off inside the Packers' offices.
There is no reason not to at least discuss Tebow for a backup position, considering the Packers' tenuous situation behind starter Aaron Rodgers. Matt Flynn's departure leaves former No. 3 quarterback Graham Harrell as the presumed No. 2, but it's fair to consider all options before making that promotion. A backup quarterback is expected to find a way to win games if pressed into duty, and if nothing else, Tebow has shown he can do that.
Continuing around the NFC North:
- Newly re-signed Jarrett Bush said he only wanted to leave the Packers if he were offered a starting job elsewhere, writes Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.
- Free-agent center Jeff Saturday, who visited the Packers earlier this week, is scheduled to visit the Broncos, notes AFC West colleague Bill Williamson.
- The Packers have some interest in free-agent linebacker Manny Lawson, according to Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- Judd Zulgad of 1500ESPN.com looks at the Broncos' acquisition of Peyton Manning through the lens of the Minnesota Vikings' 2009 pursuit of Brett Favre.
- The Vikings signed fullback Jerome Felton, a former Detroit Lions draft pick whom they tried to claim on waivers last season. Mark Craig of the Star Tribune has more.
- Receiver/return man Ted Ginn Jr. is the latest free agent to visit the Vikings' facility. Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press traces the team's recent history with free-agent receivers.
- The Lions re-signed linebacker Ashlee Palmer, notes Anwar S. Richardson of Mlive.com.
- Richardson also notes the Lions are trying to re-sign running back Kevin Smith.
- Lions defensive lineman Andre Fluellen has re-signed, writes Chris McCosky of the Detroit News.
- Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press: "Rather than chase big-name additions or marginal talent upgrades, general manager Martin Mayhew spent the last week ensuring the core of last year's wild-card team would remain intact."
- Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher on the acquisition of receiver Brandon Marshall, via ESPNChicago.com: "The only thing I worry about is him getting suspended. The NFL is pretty harsh on stuff like that. That's one thing I worry about, is him missing time."
- Bears coach Lovie Smith was at the Texas pro day to work out linebacker Keenan Robinson, writes Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.