Wednesday, February 27, 2013
BBAO: Bears want Nick Roach back
By Kevin Seifert
We're Black and Blue All Over:
Two of the Chicago Bears' three starting linebackers are pending free agents, and indications are that they will make an effort to bring both of them back in 2013.
We've already discussed the still-murky situation around middle linebacker Brian Urlacher; general manager Phil Emery has said he wants to work with Urlacher and his agents on the future. Meanwhile, Jeff Dickerson of ESPNChicago.com reports the Bears have told strongside linebacker Nick Roach that they want to bring him back as well.
Limited salary-cap space has prevented the Bears from making hard offers, according to Dickerson. But if they bring back both Urlacher and Roach, it is hard to envision the Bears conducting the kind of full-scale defensive overhaul this offseason that we once considered possible.
Continuing around the NFC North:
- The Bears can't cut corners in the secondary anymore, writes Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune.
- Bears cornerback D.J. Moore wants to play safety, according to the Tribune's Vaughn McClure.
- Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner's 4.37 time in the 40 silenced anyone who questioned whether he should be under consideration for the Detroit Lions' No. 5 overall pick, writes Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.
- John Niyo of the Detroit News on the Lions' secondary: "Simply put, the Lions can't keep pretending the revolving door in the secondary isn't a primary concern. Starting with a different group every spring and playing with a different bunch every week isn't getting them anywhere but back to where they started defensively."
- Former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu believes he can cover the Lions' Calvin Johnson, notes Justin Rogers of Mlive.com.
- The Green Bay Packers aren't ruling out the possibility of moving Bryan Bulaga to left tackle, according to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- The Packers had a 99.9 percent season-ticket renewal rate this year, taking only 119 names off a waiting list of more than 100,000, notes Mike Vandermause of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.
- It's time to start holding Minnesota Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder accountable, according to FOX analyst Brian Billick via the Star Tribune.
- Dan Wiederer of the Star Tribune offers 12 receivers for Vikings fans to keep an eye on during draft season.