Sunday, September 28, 2008
Kickoff is looming at Solider Field
By Kevin Seifert
Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert
CHICAGO -- A few pre-game thoughts as the Bears and Eagles warm up at Solider Field:
- It's pretty much a picture-perfect night for football. The sun is setting and temperatures are in the low 60's.
- I've watched Bears receiver/kick returner Devin Hester for a few minutes and he really hasn't done much during the early part of warm-ups. But I'm confident his inclusion on the active list is no ploy. There aren't many teams who would use a game-day roster spot for a decoy.
- Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb has an interesting night ahead of him. He's healthy enough to play despite a bruised chest, but he'll be without several important members of the Eagles' offense. In addition to tailback Brian Westbrook, who is inactive because of an ankle injury, the Eagles also will miss tight end L.J. Smith, receiver Kevin Curtis and offensive lineman Shawn Andrews.
- There are three NFC North teams with games Sunday. The first two, Minnesota and Green Bay, finished with their backup quarterbacks in the game. Will karma get Rex Grossman a few snaps in this game?
- No matter what the Bears do, no NFC North team will have a winning record through the first quarter of the season.
- Those of you with young children, make sure you read my colleague Pat Yasinskas' column on Tampa Bay kicker Matt Bryant. I know I wiped my eyes.