Monday, July 22, 2013
BBAO: Training camps are here (almost)!
By Kevin Seifert
We're Black and Blue All Over:
We've made it!
Our offseason, which began early on the morning of Jan. 13, is all but complete. Two NFL teams have already reported to training camp. Detroit Lions rookies report Monday, and the rest of the NFC North will be in camp by the end of the week.
We always wonder how we'll get through the seven or so months between the end of the season and the start of a new one. Then, when we get there, we wonder where the time has gone. That's where I am at the moment.
While we have a moment, let's catch up on the last weekend of offseason coverage for 2013:
- David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune as the Chicago Bears prepare to begin the Marc Trestman era: "Even now, seven months later, it seems odd a 10-6 team that narrowly missed the playoffs would allow its season to be framed by a question raised by such an unproven, unusual hire. A sure thing, this isn't, Chicago. Any faith is mostly blind. The only thing I can promise about Trestman's first season as Bears head coach is that an open mind will be necessary. Everything else about the next six months looks too iffy to assert."
- Bears cornerback Charles Tillman on Trestman, via Adam L. Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times: "I'm really just trying to see and understand him as a person and understand where's he's coming from. And my observation is that he is a man who has the best interests of the team [in mind]. The decisions that he makes, I might not always agree with them, but it is for the greater good of our team. He makes a decision that you don't seem to agree with or you don't understand why, and you ask, 'Well, why did you make this decision, Coach?' ... And he'll give you an explanation. He'll let you know why he made a particular decision."
- Jahns looks at 10 Bears players to watch this summer.
- Justin Rogers of Mlive.com examines the Lions' training camp competition at right guard.
- Bob Wojnowski of the Detroit News: "Very soon, the Lions will be forced to tell us who or what they are, because the messages are still mixed. They’re not as bad as they showed last season, but they’re not exactly a playoff team, either. GM Martin Mayhew bears the same mark, and the same scrutiny."
- Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press speaks to former NFL players about the mechanics of Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford.
- Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley has added about 10 pounds this offseason, according to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- Safety Morgan Burnett is the Packers' fifth-most important player, according to Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com.
- Finley and receiver Randall Cobb are the keys to the Packers' passing game, writes Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.
- Dan Wiederer of the Star Tribune profiles Vikings defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd.
- Ben Goessling of the St. Paul Pioneer Press: "The Vikings will report Thursday for their 48th training camp in Mankato, Minn., feeling a lot more optimistic than they did for their 47th."