Thursday, September 26, 2013
Vikings injury report: Chris Cook out again
By Ben Goessling
WATFORD, England -- Defensive back Chris Cook didn't practice again for the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday, walking out to the team's practice field in England without pads, and the possibility of the cornerback missing Sunday's game seems to be increasing.
Cook left last Sunday's game early with a groin strain, and he had a groin injury in the Vikings' third preseason game against San Francisco. He was hopeful he would be able to practice on Friday, but if he can't, the Vikings would likely rule him out for Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
"The fact that he's not able to practice today leads you to believe it may be difficult tomorrow," Frazier said. "He wants to try tomorrow, so we'll see."
The Vikings got safety Jamarca Sanford and cornerback A.J. Jefferson back at practice in a limited capacity on Thursday, but it remains to be seen if they'd have either player healthy on Sunday. Frazier said the Vikings would likely have to add a cornerback to their roster if Cook and Jefferson were both out, since they would only have three healthy cornerbacks in that scenario. The easiest move -- especially considering the team is in London -- would be to elevate Robert Steeples from the practice squad, but general manager Rick Spielman said yesterday that assistant GM George Paton is still in Minnesota to give the Vikings a front-office member in the U.S. this week in case they needed to make a roster move, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that the Vikings could sign someone and fly him to England for Sunday's game.
Looking at the rest of the Vikings' injury report:
- Quarterback Christian Ponder was limited again because of his rib injury, but backup Matt Cassel said Ponder did the majority of the work on Thursday, and Ponder said he was comfortable playing with extra padding on his ribs. We've got more on that situation here.
- Running back Adrian Peterson was limited because of a coach's decision on Thursday, but Frazier has built in breaks for the running back before, and it's probably safe to assume that's what happened here, especially since if Peterson had an injury, it would be listed on the injury report.
- Running back Matt Asiata (hamstring) returned to full participation on Thursday.
- Tight end Rhett Ellison (knee) was out of practice again.
- Defensive tackle Kevin Williams (knee) was limited, and linebacker Erin Henderson (heel) and long snapper Cullen Loeffler (neck) were again full participants.