Friday, January 31, 2014
Starter Pack: McCarthy recalls SB XLV
By Rob Demovsky
A roundup of what's happening on the Green Bay Packers beat.
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- For those not in the Super Bowl, this week can afford many the opportunity to grab some of the limelight in other ways.
We've already heard about Packers receiver Randall Cobb's appearance in the Broadway musical Rock of Ages -- by the way, there's now video of it -- and several of his teammates have been in the New York area taking part in Super Bowl XLVIII-related events.
Rarely, however, do NFL coaches get involved in the hoopla.
But Packers coach Mike McCarthy was willing to share some of his experiences from Super Bowl XLV. In a first-person account for the website TheMMQB, McCarthy wrote about all the positives he and his team experienced that week in Dallas, where they beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, but also shared one regret.
“I did make one mistake surrounding the game, and it's something that I regret to this day,” McCarthy wrote. “I was not prepared for the postgame atmosphere after our Super Bowl victory.”
He wrote about all the different directions in which he was pulled in the moments immediately after the game and because of it, he missed one thing he always wanted.
“Sadly, unlike many of our coaches, I don't have a picture with my family on the field as the confetti fell during that historic moment,” McCarthy wrote.
He then added: “When the Green Bay Packers win their next one, I'll be much better prepared for that part of the experience.”
In case you missed it on ESPN.com:
Best of the rest:
- With the conclusion of last week's Senior Bowl, all the college all-star games are over. That means Packers general manager Ted Thompson can starts his annual pre-draft meetings with his scouts. Those began this week.
- We continued our position outlook series by examining the cornerback situation, and we'll wrap things up by looking at the safeties later on Friday.
- Also, there's still time to submit questions for our weekly mailbag. Please tweet them to me @RobDemovsky with the hashtag #PackersMail. The answers will be posted on Saturday.
- At ESPNMilwaukee.com, Jason Wilde wrote about former Packers assistant coach Darrell Bevell, who is in his second season as the Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator and appears to be in line to become a head coach at some point soon.
- The Green Bay Press-Gazette's Packers reporters discussed in video form what the biggest offseason needs are for the Packers.
- In the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Tom Silverstein caught up with defensive tackle Mike Daniels during an appearance at the Super Bowl and wrote about how Daniels plans to step up as one of the Packers' defensive leaders.