Thursday, August 14, 2014
Packers Camp Report: Day 15
By Rob Demovsky
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Green Bay Packers training camp:
- Even though there are two more weeks of the preseason left, training camp is essentially over for the Packers. The players moved out of the St. Norbert College dorms on Friday morning and are free to stay at home for the remainder of camp, making it feel like a regular season. "Just being out of the dorms, you get that feeling," safety Morgan Burnett said. "But going into the preseason, we kind of approach every game like it's regular season. Just the way we handle things with meetings and the line of focus out there." Coach Mike McCarthy went to a regular-season schedule last week leading up to the preseason opener at the Tennessee Titans. The team followed the same practice schedule this week in advance of Saturday’s game at the St. Louis Rams. They still have five more practices that are open to the public for the remainder of this month.
- Receiver Jordy Nelson is scheduled to participate in Friday's closed practice and after that it will be determined whether he will play against the Rams. Nelson did not play against the Titans because of a hamstring injury. "Jordy is on course to practice tomorrow," McCarthy said Thursday, when the team did not practice. "He practiced yesterday. Once we get through practice, we’ll determine the final play time expectations for all of our guys. But he looks good."
- Rookie running back Rajion Neal, who was one of the standouts from the preseason opener before he sustained a knee injury, will not travel to St. Louis. Neal has not practiced this week. On Thursday, he walked through the locker room and was actually carrying the brace that he had been wearing on his knee. When asked if that was a good sign, Neal said: "Oh yeah, I'll be back next week for sure."
- Others who won't travel are: Linebacker Joe Thomas (knee), tight end Colt Lyerla (knee), receiver Jared Abbrederis (knee) and tackle Don Barclay (knee). McCarthy said defensive tackle Letroy Guion, who has not practiced all camp because of a hamstring injury, will travel but will not play. He said Guion could return next week.
- A day after the trade went through that sent oft-injured defensive end Jerel Worthy to the New England Patriots for a conditional draft pick, McCarthy had this to say about the former second-round pick: "Injury situations are tough and sometimes decisions like that have to be made. And that's really my view of what happened to him. You look at a lot of careers in the National Football League, a lot of great players, their opportunity started when somebody else was injured. So it's a big part of being successful in this league."
- The Packers will hold a short closed practice on Friday before departing for St. Louis, where they will play a rare afternoon preseason game on Saturday at 3 p.m. local time. The next open practice is Monday at noon.