Around the NFC South
April, 19, 2012
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
Time for a morning look at the headlines from around the division.
- Tampa Bay running back LeGarrette Blount previously was quoted as saying he didn’t want the Bucs to draft Trent Richardson. But Blount said Wednesday he would welcome the Alabama running back if the Buccaneers draft him.
- You might want to check out this video of Atlanta running back Michael Turner, who thought he was doing some modeling for a men’s fashion magazine. Instead, the photo shoot was all a joke, set up by Turner’s friend, Pittsburgh linebacker Lamar Woodley.
- Troy offensive lineman James Brown could be a target for the Saints in the middle rounds. The Saints have a good history when taking offensive linemen from smaller schools in the middle rounds. They got guard Jahri Evans and tackle Jermon Bushrod in the fourth round.
- Defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, who appears to be a candidate to go to Carolina with the No. 9 overall pick, could be the earliest Mississippi State player drafted since safety Walt Harris went No. 13 to Chicago in 1996.
- The Bucs are experimenting by using veteran cornerback Ronde Barber at safety in their minicamp that ends Thursday. Coach Greg Schiano said he’s been impressed with what he’s seen so far. Schiano said he’s not sure if Barber will stay at the position. Although Barber doesn’t have traditional safety size, Schiano said he thinks the veteran is big enough to make an impact as a safety.
- Former New Orleans defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been in touch with league officials to make sure he does everything possible to have a chance to be reinstated after this season. Williams, who left after last season to join the Rams, was suspended indefinitely for his role in the Saints’ bounty program.