METAIRIE, La. -- Before I head out to watch another round of minicamp practice by the New Orleans Saints, let’s take a quick look at some headlines from around the rest of the NFC South.
- D. Orlando Ledbetter has a list of five things to watch as the Falcons have another workout with media access. He’s keeping a close eye on rookie safety Charles Mitchell, who looked good in the last open workout.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers formally introduced Eric LeGrand to the media. LeGrand suffered a spine injury in 2010 while playing at Rutgers for Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano. LeGrand, who was signed by the Bucs after the draft as a symbolic gesture, said he wants to walk again. He also announced that his jersey will be on sale on the team’s website and the team store. The proceeds will go to LeGrand’s foundation, which is designed to help others with spinal-cord injuries.
- After missing some offseason time because of a hamstring injury, Tampa Bay rookie running back Doug Martin is going full speed, and Schiano was singing his praises.
- Carolina’s Sept. 20 game against the New York Giants will be covered nationally by the NFL Network. But WSOC-TV has acquired the rights to show the game in the Charlotte market.
- An expert panel debates which former head coach will have the greatest impact as an assistant. New Orleans defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo draws plenty of support.