Quick hits on the Buccaneers
September, 12, 2012
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
TAMPA, Fla. -- I swung out to One Buccaneer Place earlier to do an interview for my Thursday column. But there were a few minor things going on with the Bucs that are worth touching base on now.
- Cornerback E.J. Biggers, who had been out since almost the start of training camp, returned to practice Wednesday. The team said Biggers participated fully. Recently-acquired Brandon McDonald worked as the third cornerback in the season opener, but Biggers could step back into that role quickly.
- There’s been some speculation that running back LeGarrette Blount might be pouting because he lost his starting job to rookie Doug Martin. Coach Greg Schiano denied that, saying “he’s been good. There haven’t been any problems with LeGarrette."
- Although the team has said Blount did not suffer a concussion Sunday, Schiano said “things didn't add up’’ about Blount’s condition after taking a big hit. Blount was supposed to have an MRI to check for a back or neck injury and was held out of practice Wednesday.
- Although offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan was the quarterbacks coach for the Giants last year and defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan served in the same role in New York in 2009, Schiano said the Bucs can take only a minimal advantage from that. Schiano said, “At the end of the day, it’s players.’’
- Schiano said he’ll spend most of Thursday leading his team through practice and preparing for the Giants. But he said he will try to swing over to Raymond James Stadium on Thursday evening to catch the game between Rutgers and the University of South Florida. Schiano coached at Rutgers the past 11 years.