Superlatives on the Panthers
December, 17, 2012
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
With some help from ESPN Stats & Information, let’s take a look at some statistical superlatives from the Carolina Panthers’ 31-7 victory against the San Diego Chargers.
- The Panthers have won back-to-back games for the first time this season. They also have won three of their last four games.
- Quarterback Cam Newton completed 19 of 33 passes for 231 yards and two touchdowns. Over his last four games, Newton has accounted for 12 touchdowns (passing and rushing), the most of any quarterback in that span.
- Newton now has 39 passing touchdowns and 21 rushing touchdowns in his career. He’s the only player in NFL history with more than 30 touchdown passes and more than 20 rushing touchdowns in his first two seasons.
- Newton now has thrown a franchise-record 152 passes without an interception.
- DeAngelo Williams, who had lost his starting job to Jonathan Stewart before Stewart was injured, carried 22 times for 93 yards. That’s the most rushing yards Williams has had in a game since Week 5 of last season.
- Wide receiver Steve Smith now has seven seasons with more than 1,000 receiving yards. That ties him for third among active players.