NFC South free-agency quick hits
March, 12, 2013
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
The news is coming out very rapidly. So let’s take a quick trip through some of the odds and ends:
- Adam Schefter just reported that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have discussed a potential trade with the New York Jets for cornerback Darrelle Revis. But Schefter said the Bucs could move in another direction (there are plenty of cornerbacks on the market) if a trade isn’t worked out quickly.
- The New Orleans Saints will be in the market for a new backup quarterback. Chase Daniel, who had been Drew Brees’ understudy, reportedly has agreed to terms with Kansas City.
- Drew Stanton. If Atlanta signs Stanton, it means Luke McCown won’t be back. McCown could be a candidate for the backup job in New Orleans. He spent the 2011 preseason with the Saints. Speaking of quarterbacks, there have been reports that the Falcons have interest in
- There have been some tweets saying Atlanta center Todd McClure is retiring. That may be true, but it may not. General manager Thomas Dimitroff said an announcement either way would come from McClure. As of now, McClure hasn’t said anything. We'll wait to hear from him.
- It’s all quiet in Carolina so far. That’s probably because the Panthers’ tight salary-cap situation is prohibiting them from being players in free agency. But one thing I can tell you is that the Panthers have designated James Anderson as a June 1 release. That means his cap hit will be spread over this year and next. Also, the Panthers reportedly have re-signed backup tight end Ben Hartsock.