NFC South afternoon update
April, 3, 2013
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
Time for a run through some odds and ends from around the NFC South:
- Tampa Bay safety Ronde Barber said he still is undecided if he’ll retire or play another season. Barber said he expects to make a “gut decision,’’ but it hasn’t happened yet. I don’t get the sense that the Buccaneers, who have said they want Barber back, are putting too much pressure on a guy that’s earned the right to make his own choice. But it would be helpful if Barber gives the team an answer before the draft.
- Speaking of the Buccaneers and defensive backs, Alabama’s Dee Milliner, will begin a pre-draft visit with the team Wednesday night, according to Ian Rapoport. I’d be shocked if Milliner lasts until Tampa Bay picks at No. 13. But, then again, maybe the Bucs aren’t planning on staying put at No. 13.
- Carolina linebacker Jon Beason said he expects to be fully healthy by training camp after finishing last season on injured reserve. Beason also said he’s fine with moving to outside linebacker. Luke Kuechly took over in the middle and excelled when Beason went out. Although Beason has spent most of his career in the middle, I think he can be an impact player on the outside.
- The Panthers agreed to terms with former New York Giants receiver Domenik Hixon, according to Jason LaCanfora. Carolina suddenly is looking very deep at receiver, but the Panthers still could look to draft a long-term replacement for Steve Smith.
- This one’s a little off beat, but country music star Kenny Chesney talks about his very brief stint as a receiver with the New Orleans Saints with Jon Gruden.
- Speaking of Gruden, I’ve spent much of the past five or six weeks watching the filming of Gruden’s QB Camp, which debuts this week on ESPN. I’ve been working with Gruden to get his written scouting reports on all the prospects and they’ll run on our Insider pages in the coming days. Here's the television schedule for Gruden's QB Camp.