Falcons Camp Report: Day 12
August, 9, 2014
By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- A daily review of the hot topics from Atlanta Falcons training camp:
- Dwight Lowery, projected to be the starting free safety this season, returned to action earlier than expected after suffering a mild concussion during an Aug. 1 practice. Lowery was able to fully participate as the team practiced in shorts coming off Friday night's 16-10 exhibition win over Miami. Just having Lowery back on the field was a promising sign. "The next step will be to get him some contact work, and that will take place in the practice on Monday," coach Mike Smith said. Linebacker Pat Angerer is under the same schedule after returning to practice Saturday off a concussion.
- Wide receiver Roddy White was given the day off and didn't make an appearance until after practice. White was supposed to play just eight snaps against the Dolphins but ended up playing 18 due to a long initial drive by the first-team offense. But the day off was scheduled ahead of time, Smith said. "We've got a prescription for a lot of our players in terms of the number of reps they're going to do," Smith said. "This was Roddy's day." White had four catches for 27 yards in the game.
- There seemed to be a little added emphasis on red zone work Saturday. At one point, quarterback Matt Ryan targeted Julio Jones on three of four red zone attempts, with Jones hauling in two touchdowns. Smith wasn't happy with the team's red zone showing against the Dolphins, with just one touchdown scored in four attempts. But Jones didn't play in the game. "We knew we needed to get red zone work right after the first preseason game, simply because you don't ever know how many snaps you're going to get in a game," Smith said. "On average, we're going to get two series down there in the red zone. ... And that's something that we've got to be much better at."
- Extra points: Smith said linebacker Tim Dobbins suffered an ankle injury and should be back in a few days. ... Offensive lineman Gabe Carimi (ankle) was not at practice Saturday. ... Offensive tackle Terren Jones was on the field for the first time since sustaining the concussion but only did drills on a side field. ... Both outside linebacker Jacques Smith and safety Kimario McFadden practiced after exiting Friday's game with injuries. ... Cornerback Desmond Trufant picked off a long ball in practice.
- Next up: The Falcons have Sunday off with a padded practice scheduled for Monday at 3:30 p.m. ET.