Buccaneers Camp Report: Day 12
August, 10, 2014
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
TAMPA, Fla. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Tampa Bay Buccaneers training camp:
- After a disappointing performance in the preseason opener against Jacksonville, the Bucs shook up their offensive line in Sunday’s practice. The Bucs moved Jace Daniels, who was on the practice squad last season, up to the first team in place of Jamon Meredith at left guard. Oneil Cousins remained with the first team at right guard. Coach Lovie Smith said the Bucs will continue to experiment with their guards. “In order to eventually get to the first team, you have to play with the first team,’’ Smith said. “You have to do some good things in practice. Jace has been doing that throughout, whether it be at center or guard. Jamon didn’t play as well as he needed too. We realize he can play guard and tackle, so we’re going to let him concentrate a little more at the tackle position and get that next group of guards an opportunity. Jace is the next guy.
- Rookie wide receiver Robert Herron, who has struggled at times during camp, had perhaps his best day of practice Sunday. Herron had several nice catches. “That’s how he’s been,’’ Smith said. “He’s shown flashes throughout. In the game, one great play and dropped another. A lot of that is normal rookie play. I try to concentrate on those plays where he has caught the ball and some of the quickness we’ve seen throughout. In time, he’s going to be a pretty good football player.’’
- The Bucs had some good news on the injury front. Safety Dashon Goldson has been brought along slowly, is expected to play in Saturday’s postseason game against Miami. Cornerback Alterraun Verner, who has been out with a hamstring injury since the third day of camp, returned to practice and participated in individual drills.
- Cornerback Mike Jenkins (hamstring) and defensive end Steven Means (groin) sat out Sunday’s practice.
- The Bucs are scheduled to practice at 4:30 p.m. ET Monday.