Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Around the NFC South: Saints close camp with visit from Chesney
By Pat Yasinskas
Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
- Country singer Kenny Chesney got to practice with the team Monday. The singer is a close friend of coach Sean Payton, who is expected to attend a Chesney concert in New Orleans later this week.
- The Saints wrapped up training camp at Millsaps College and will return to their own facility Wednesday.
- The Falcons are down to their third center, Ben Wilkerson. Alex Stepanovich suffered a back injury Monday and starter Todd McClure already was out with an injury. The severity of Stepanovich's injury probably won't be known until Tuesday. McClure was running with the team's training staff on the sidelines Monday, but still isn't completely recovered. Wilkerson likely will get the start in Saturday's preseason game against Indianapolis.
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
- Kicker Matt Bryant said his two missed field goals against Miami happened because he wasn't following through enough. Bryant said he'll work on correcting that problem in practice this week.
- Rhys Lloyd doesn't like being called a kickoff specialist, but that's the only way he's going to make Carolina's roster. Veteran John Kasay has handled extra points and kickoffs for most of the franchise's existence and he isn't going anywhere. Lloyd has shown good leg on kickoffs and the Panthers are seriously considering keeping him around to handle that role.