Monday, August 3, 2009
Around the NFC South
By Pat Yasinskas
Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas
SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- Time for a quick trip through the headlines for the rest of the NFC South before I head out to the first practice of Carolina's camp.
- For those who thought Reggie Bush wasn't physical enough, the running back has been mixing it up with linebackers.
- Rookie Malcolm Jenkins now has missed five practices as he waits for a contract agreement. Each practice he misses is putting Tracy Porter one step closer to being the opening-day starter.
- Our Chris Mortensen had his bus out at camp Sunday. I'll have a subcompact rental car out there Wednesday and Thursday.
- The current tab for Roddy White's holdout is nearly $32,000. It could be up to almost $48,000, if he doesn't show today.
- White's holdout aside, Daniel Cox writes the Falcons are showing the right attitude early in camp.
- Once again, veteran receiver Brian Finneran says he's just trying to earn a roster spot.
- Sounds like the chemistry between tight end Tony Gonzalez and quarterback Matt Ryan is developing quite nicely.
- Tampa Bay's quarterbacks struggled Sunday. Just a hunch, but I don't think that will be the only time that happens this summer.
- Tight end Kellen Winslow admitted he still is working to learn the offense and is trying to adjust to the Florida heat. Note to Winslow: You could have gotten a jump on both by spending the entire offseason in Tampa.
- Coach Raheem Morris wasn't happy with the tempo of practice Sunday, so he changed it dramatically.