Sunday, August 16, 2009
Sunday night roundup
By Pat Yasinskas
Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas
Time for a quick look at some of the day's top stories in the NFC South:
- The Saints have said since the draft that Malcolm Jenkins would be used at cornerback. He got some work at safety Sunday. Jenkins also got some work at corner in the nickel package. Sounds like the Saints are just exploring all the possibilities they have with the versatile rookie.
- Quarterback Drew Brees has left the Saints to attend memorial services for his mother. Brees is expected to re-join the team Wednesday when the Saints have a joint practice with the Texans in Houston.
- Atlanta rookie cornerback Chris Owens is showing signs he has one of the traits of some of the greats at his position. He's already talking about himself in the third person.
- A thief reportedly stole an autographed Steve Smith jersey from a South Carolina restaurant.
- Although Tampa Bay quarterback Josh Freeman threw an interception in his first preseason game, coach Raheem Morris raved about the rookie's savvy for calling his own play when he couldn't hear the call on the radio in his helmet.
- Morris said center Jeff Faine, receiver Michael Clayton and linebacker Angelo Crowell, who've been sidelined with injuries, are expected to return to practice this week.