Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Dominik: Aqib Talib expected at camp
By Pat Yasinskas
Tampa Bay general manager Mark Dominik just met with the media and offered some nuggets of information.
- Dominik said he expects cornerback Aqib Talib to report to training camp on time. Talib was charged with aggravated assault in Texas in March and faces trial next March. Dominik said he has spoken to Talib’s agent, but has not spoken to the player or his lawyer in the criminal case. Dominik said he wants to talk to Talib’s legal representative to gather more information on the situation.
- Dominik also announced the team has agreed to contract terms with rookie linebacker Mason Foster and tight end Daniel Hardy. Foster was a third-round pick and Hardy a seventh-round choice. Foster could be a candidate to start at middle linebacker if Barrett Ruud is not re-signed.
- Dominik said he expects defensive end Da’Quan Bowers to be ready for training camp. Bowers slid to the second round because of concerns about a knee problem.
- Dominik said the team has done some exploratory work on free agents from other teams, but the immediate focus is to keep some of the team’s own free agents.
- The team will formally announce a list of between 15 and 20 undrafted free agents who have signed on Tuesday, Dominik said.
- Although there had been speculation that defensive tackle Brian Price could start camp on the physically-unable-to-perform list, Dominik said that’s not the plan. Price is recovering from surgery on his pelvis. Dominik said Price is progressing, but needs to work on his conditioning.