Monday, August 13, 2012
Does Matt Ryan belong in top 10?
By Pat Yasinskas
The season hasn’t even started yet, but the question about Matt Ryan’s status among NFL quarterbacks already is heating up.
In a television appearance, Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff was asked if Ryan is a top-10 quarterback. Dimitroff said there’s no question Ryan belongs in the top 10.
I just did the math and I agree with Dimitroff.
Off the top of my head, here’s my list of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league.
- Drew Brees, New Orleans (hey, I cover the NFC South)
- Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay (he’s right there with Brees)
- Tom Brady, New England
- Eli Manning, N.Y. Giants (yep, I’m putting him ahead of his brother -- for now)
- Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers (you can’t argue with Super Bowl rings)
- Matthew Stafford, Lions
- Peyton Manning, Broncos (we don’t know what he has or doesn’t have left)
- Cam Newton, Panthers
- Philip Rivers
Yeah, I know I’m skipping guys like Matt Schaub, Tony Romo, Michael Vick and Joe Flacco. There’s a reason for that. I’d take Ryan over any of them any day. And, if Ryan can win a couple playoff games this year, I think he could crack the top five.