Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Right guard job still open in Atlanta
By Pat Yasinskas
Here’s a little item that will probably make a lot of Atlanta fans happy, at least for the moment.
Chris Vivlamore reports that coach Mike Smith said he’s not ready to declare Garrett Reynolds the starting right guard for the regular season. In a lot of places around the NFL, coaches already have decided on starting lineups. But Smith is taking a different route.
Smith said he plans to use the preseason finale to help make final decisions at right guard (and several other positions).
That means there still is a chance that rookie Peter Konz could overtake Reynolds for the starting job.
But let’s say this about Reynolds, who has taken over the role previously held by Mike Mularkey and/or Brian VanGorder as the guy that gets blamed for everything (real or imagined) that goes wrong for the Falcons: He must have been doing something right in training camp and so far this preseason.
He’s been able to hold off Konz this long, which is about three preseason games longer than most fans expected. Either that or Konz hasn't picked up the transition from college center to NFL guard as quickly as fans would like.